Saturday, July 19, 2008

Why do I run? (7/19/08)

Well, I went for a run today. It was a pretty nice run. No cramps or anything. I started thinking about why I run, about why I'm running right now. Is it because I have to, obligated to run because of the responsibility I have towards the team? Is it because of the expectations people have of me? Or is it because i truly want to be running right now, just for the fun of it? I believe it's a little bit of each. If I chose not to run, there would be a whole team of people who hated me, who despised me because I let the team down. People have told me that they're going to do cross country next year just to see how fast I've become. What if I'm not as fast as they expected me to be? What if I'm just as fast I was before, or slower. I won't magically become faster over time. I have to push myself and work towards getting faster, which creates a "I have to go for a run today" rather than a "I want to go for a run today" mentality. I thought to myself while I was running, "why do I want to be running right now?." It's because, at the end of the day, no matter what reason i had for going for a run, I always felt better when I got home, than when I left.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,

Really enjoyed your blog. I too have thoughts like these when doing something I love, but have to do. The fact that you have found a way to express and share them with us is special.

Am currently with Mom and Dad in Cape Town and we wanted to wish a happy 16th Birthday. We hope you had a lovely day and did not feel obliged to go for a run. Did you do anything exciting?

Look forward to reading your next blog.

Bev

Jinthe1st said...

I like to beat up half-naked man in spandex with earmuffs on. It helps me relieve my stress in life and in sexuality.

You should take up that sport again. I know you miss my beatings. :3